Topics

Thoughts on proposing Java Speed TG and JavaScript Speed TG, and the (planned) Managed Runtime SIG/TG

Wei Wu (吴伟)

Hi all,

I think it is the time to create a Java Speed TG for the porting of OpenJDK/OpenJ9/OpenArkCompiler, and a TG for V8/Spidermonkey/JSC and engines for webassembly.

The PLCT Lab is pushing the boundary of the RISC-V software ecosystem by speeding up the JavaScript and Java codes running on the RISC-V platform. We collaborate with FutureWei and RIOS Lab on V8 for RISC-V project, with BishengJDK (Huawei) on OpenJDK for RISC-V project. The upstreaming for V8 is near done, while the upstreaming of OpenJDK will start soon (by Yadong Wang from Huawei). We are going to speed up more than 100x for both Java and JavaScript in 2021. More collaboration among all the teams involved becomes much more important.

The question I have is how to create the two TGs? Now the RVI has Software SSC, T&R subcommittee, and Code Speed Opt SIG. IIUC The code speed SIG spawns new proposals of TG and sends them to T&R subcommittee for approval.

I am the co-chair of the code speed SIG, so I'm OK with the process mentioned above. What I'm not sure is the status of the Runtime SIG/TG .Two months ago, we talked about the creation of the Managed Runtime SIG/TG in the meeting/mailing list/mail threads under the Toolchain & Runtime subcommittee. I want to make sure that if anyone is preparing similar proposals before I start to write, to avoid duplicate works.

Please let me know if anyone is preparing similar proposals. Thanks.

--
Best wishes,
Wei Wu (吴伟)

mark

should it just be java or should it cover any interpretated or JITed language?

--------
sent from a mobile device. please forgive any typos.

On Dec 22, 2020, at 4:17 AM, Wei Wu <lazyparser@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I'd prefer to separate into different TGs. Either Java or JavaScript language has a very large number of applications, and they have different language characteristics, different benchmarks. One TG to cover them all might to big and diverse.

--
Best wishes,
Wei Wu (吴伟)