Re: Vector Task Group minutes 2020/12/04

Roger Espasa

8 Maks registers are quite needed in modern outer-vectorized loops. Also in graphic shaders. I would say 16 is overkill.

Now, and I am not defending this, if we had to go this route, I would seriously fight for masks-in-x-registers. I.e :no new state , no new instructions. Only a few arch tricks to try to avoid loss of decoupling between vector unit and scalar unit.  That’s better than a new set of registers and instructions

Roger.

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 21:34, swallach <steven.wallach@...> wrote:
in my experience only only one maybe two vm registers are needed

nested loops under if statements is rare.

http://bsc.es/disclaimer

Join tech-vector-ext@lists.riscv.org to automatically receive all group messages.